Exporting your machinery to America and Canada
If you manufacture one-of-a-kind equipment, relocating existing equipment to a new facility, have purchased used equipment or equipment without proper certification, you will need to comply with local electrical safety requirements.
Throughout the United States and Canada, many local jurisdictions will not allow unlisted / unlabeled equipment to be installed or used at manufacturing and commercial sites within their communities. In many cases, manufacturers utilizing equipment in conflict with local electrical laws may be fined and/or shut down by OSHA or may not be allowed to energize their equipment by the local electrical inspectors.
TÜV SÜD’s field labelling services help manufacturers gain the appropriate certification / listing requirements to allow their products to meet electrical safety requirements and be accepted by local Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).
Our services at a glance
- Field labelling applies to the following type of equipment:
- Custom-built equipment for special applications
- Equipment manufactured on a non-repetitive basis
- Equipment sold in limited quantities
- Equipment not obtainable as "Certified" under a regular certification program
- Equipment already installed and awaiting acceptance by the regulatory authorities
- Complete systems or subassemblies
- Field-evaluated equipment that has been relocated
- Listed equipment that has been modified
- TÜV SÜD provides field evaluations and labeling services for the electrical safety of machinery, medical devices, IT equipment, laboratory test and measurement equipment, complete systems and assemblies, as well as most other types of equipment in most jurisdictions throughout the United States and Canada
- The TÜV SÜD field label is widely recognized by AHJs resulting in a smoother and expedited approval (field labeling) of the equipment. TÜV SÜD performs on-site field assessment evaluations to NFPA, UL, ANSI, and CSA requirements
- TÜV SÜD can evaluate to most UL, NFPA, ASTM, ASME, and ANSI accredited standards for safety of equipment. Some of the most commonly used standards:
- NFPA 79 Safety of Industrial Machinery
- UL 60950 Safety of Information Technology Equipment
- UL 508A Safety of Industrial Control Panels
- UL 987 Safety of Electric Tools
- UL 73 Safety of Motor-Operated Appliances
- UL 2601-1 Safety of Medical Electric Equipment
- ANSI B93.18 - Standard for Safety of Oil Reservoirs
- ASME ANSI B30-2 - Standard for Safety of Overhead and Gantry Trains
- ANSI/ASME B20.1 - Standard for Safety of Conveyor Systems
- OSHA 1926-555 - Standard for Safety of Conveyor Systems
- ANSI MH 29.1 - Standard for Safety of Scissor-type Lift Tables
- OSHA 1926.1052/1053 - Safety of Ladders, Stairs, and Walkways
- NFPA 70 - National Electric Code
- TÜV SÜD engineers will provide on-site evaluation of your equipment, covering areas such as component and construction evaluation, as well as basic safety testing to required standards.